Updated: June 19, 2017
I sold Mork on eBay at the end of May. I hope his new owner continues the Scotty adventure.
Why do you call your Scotty “Mork”?
- When I was originally contemplating living in a travel trailer, I had decided on a new, 13′ Scamp. I had even placed a $500 deposit. Well, Scamps are rounded and egg like, and, well, Mork (of Mork & Mindy) lived in an egg. So… the name was assigned and carried over to the Scotty after we met. 😛 And, yes… my Jeep Renegade is named “Mindy”.
- The Mork & Mindy monikers have kind of fallen by the wayside. I know just refer to my camper as “the Scotty”.
What model year is it?
- 1981. I was able to confirm this through the VIN number (1SSTT13S9B11SSxxx). Beginning in 1980, Serro began using a different 17 digit VIN format.
- SSTT is Serro Scotty Travel Trailer
- The next two digits are the length.
- The digit in the 10th position designates the year. (A=1980, B=1981, C=1982, D=1983, E=1984, F=1985, G=1986, H=1987, J=1988, K=1989, L=1990, M=1991, N=1992, P=1993, Q=1994, R=1995, S=1996 and T=1997; letters I & O were skipped)
- The final three digits are the production number for that year.
How do you get water?
- I started exclusively dry camping on February 21. So, getting water can sometimes be a bit tricky. I have found that the best thing to do is just ask. When I visit a federal/state park or when I stop at a travel center, I will ask if they have a place where I can put a few gallons of water in my water storage bladder, which I keep in my Jeep. I also keep a couple of gallon water jugs in the Jeep in a backpack with a small hose and Water Bandit.
How do you get electricity?
- As of February 21, I have used only solar power. I have one, 100-watt solar panel and a 100AH battery. I have listed these on the Stuff I Use page.
- Mork also has a three-way refrigerator. This allows the refrigerator to work off of 110v, 12v, and propane gas. I use propane for the refrigerator. I have found that the cost is minimal.
Do you have any of the original manuals?
- Suburban Travel Trailer Heater, GT-8 | I don’t have this manual yet, but here is the one for the GT-10.
- Dometic Refrigerator, RM211